I'm no chef so I don't write recipes but if you see something that you'd like to try ..drop me a line and I will share the recipes that I use with you....what's for dinner tonight?

Tuesday 30 June 2015

Mee Jawa

Mee Jawa or Jawa Mee??. whichever way you call it, it's a tomato based noodle dish. The recipe normally calls for a soup base made with sweet potatoes, crush peanuts. My mum learnt to make this dish from a Eurasian lady in the neighbourhood and her soup does not use peanutt and this is my favourite. I have to say that my mum does not cook very much, she's very much a baked beans, spam and fried egg kind of cook. So this is my attempt to replicate the dish, I have asked my mum before for the recipe but because it's been years since she made it and when she did it was not often, the ingredients change each time she answers me!

Anyway, I think I might have cracked it. After making stock from chicken bones, I will try ribs next time, in goes the tomato purée and some spices. I omitted the chilli paste this round as the little one and other kids were having lunch with us. This dish made up of the soup with boiled egg noodles with various accompaniments. One of the must have accompaniment is fritters, the one I like is just plain fritters with no prawns. I remembered seeing a recipe for it in one of my cookbooks so I got to try make another thing new.

Lastly, one other thing I tried new was instead frying the tau kua (firm tofu or bean curd) I baked it in the oven with great success. So bye bye to frying tau kua, no tau kua is going to get the chance to spit hot oil at me ever again!

The must have garnishes

 

3 comments:

  1. funnily enough, my friend habaq kat Jawa takdak mee ni LOL
    Jawa ka, Bandung ka, Siam ka... asal sedap, semua cheq bedai :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did not know that! Interesting! I prefer the kuah that is more like bandung!

      Delete
    2. Woohoo! Finally I'm successfully at adding in a reply to a comment... dah bertahun tahun mencuba!

      Delete