I'm no chef so I don't write recipes but if you see something that you'd like to try ..drop me a line and I will share the recipes that I use with you....what's for dinner tonight?

Wednesday 17 December 2014

Christmas fruit cake part 1

Baking requires patience as the saying goes, how about five weeks of patience? Five weeks is how long I've waited to cut into this Christmas fruit cake full of dried fruits and pecan nuts, diligently laced with rum week after week. Yes, I said rum and not brandy. I'm not a fan of this rich cake but with the rum it's not too bad! So after five weeks, I finally get to the fun part, this is the make it or break it step of the process. Decorating is not my strong point so armed with pictures from the net, icing sugar and marzipan we begin. The end result was a design not like any I googled, it's was improvised as the first ribbon I used for my 'I think I can do this design' which was all fancy and sparkly left gold dust on the cake...inedible gold dust, oh dear! So the cake got stripped off, icing and all and we start again.

In the end I think it was passable, OCD kicking in now and I hope my two friends will be happy recipients of these two loaves. The other big half of the cake will be iced come weekend, that's for the in laws, measuring tape and level spirit will be required for that one so stay tuned for the second part of the Christmas fruit cake.

The two loaves

 

Of course I sneaked a slice, it's been 5 weeks!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment